Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Rodin's Adam and Coretta

This is Auguste Rodin’s ADAM Statue. It is a gift to the Atlanta people from the people of Paris in memory of the many Atlanta art patron citizens who perished in a plane crash just outside of Paris, June 3, 1962. When I took this picture, it was out by the sidewalk on Peachtree Street, in front of the High Museum, almost like he is waving at the people passing. ADAM has not always been by the Peachtree sidewalk. I think when he first came, he was inside in front of Concert Hall. That is when I first saw the statue. I remember we carried my Navy friend from Chicago, Don, who was visiting, to the High and there was the statue. As I was walking around looking at it from all angles a lady close by was doing the same. I “excused me” one time when we were about to collide. It was Coretta Scott King. My mind was racing. What should I say to her? What kind words of comfort could I say about her lost? The next time around, with a polite smile I nodded respectfully. I hope that worked. I meant it. Sometimes, because I have I have a frozen smirk on my face people question my sincerity. It is just that I lived most my life in a smirking mode, now my face is a perpetual smirk. Years later I would have worked with Mrs. King niece at the Postal Service.

No comments: