Sunday, June 18, 2023

Postcard of Covered Bridge in Cobb, Nevermore

Marie's Postcard Collection. Speaking of shopping centers and other things in Cobb County that was here then but not now, here is Sope's Creek Covered Bridge. It was near to a paper mill on the creek that General Sherman arrested the women workers as traitors and sent them up north to "fend" for themselves. The postcard says the creek and bridge was named after local Indian Chief Sope. I didn't know that. The card goes on to say the bridge was built about 1870 (I didn't know that either). The card also says the nails were wooden pegs... another thing I did not know. See how educational reading a postcard can be? It is not on the card but it was destroyed in 1963, I knew that one. My friend since I was about one year old, Carol Joe Clayton had a head on collision wirh a truck in the bridge, on Valentine's Night, he was killed and the bridge was destroyed.

No comments: