Saturday, June 24, 2023

Navy Bud Sam

This is my Navy friend Sam and his friend who flew all the way from Minnesota to see him. I took this picture at Sea Side Heights, New Jersey Beach in dead of winter in 1964. The Beach was deserted. She also got a room at a famous hotel in NYC city that overlooked Central Park. I cannot think of the name of it now, how famous is that? I think the name of it was The Plaza. Sam was the Squadron’s legal yeoman. He kept everybody’s spirits lifted. Once my Volvo needed brakes bad and I couldn’t afford to have them fixed so Sam borrowed my car and took it and either fixed them himself or had them fix, he would not tell me. We visited him twice in Minneapolis within a few years after we were out of the Navy and he and his friend visited me once when I lived in Atlanta. And he visited me after I married on returning from his trip overseas. In fact, I have a big picture of elephants he called a “Rub Picture” he gave me. The image was rubbed on paper from a carving in India. He also took us to an off-Broadway play, in Greenwich Village, I think, titled THE FANTASTICKS. I have seen the play locally several times since then. It is so good and the music so bouncy it would be hard for any of the players make a mistake. Speaking of plays, all through our Navy time he was working on a play too, that he named WALK NAKED DOWN THE AISLE. I have not heard if it ever was completed or not. Another Naval friend, Don Lash, was working on a play to. His was HATTIE’S HOUSE OF LOVE. I haven’t heard anymore about that one either.

No comments: