Friday, June 30, 2023

Memory Lane with Gene

 

Memory Lane:  After I got out of the Navy, over 50 years ago, I worked at Sinclair Refining Warehouse in Atlanta for about 3 years.  I was a desk man.  I kept up with what we had in the warehouse and took calls from Sinclair Service Station dealers in and around Atlanta.  Through the phone I got to know some of the dealers well enough to be considered friends. 

One dealer was Gene.  Gene owned and operated a Sinclair Station on Peachtree Street, near Buckhead.  On the phone we were always kidding with each other when he called.

One day Anna and I  were near Gene’s station so I thought I would dop by and meet him in person, fill up the tank, josh a while, and leave.

I picked the wrong day.  While his help was filling up my tank Gene came out and chewed out the teenager about something he had just done.  Gen was in a rage.  The teenager felt the a good positive image was important.  Gene would have none of that.

Phone friends can be misleading.

No comments: