Monday, June 12, 2023

Compete ting In he Grocery Store

We like to shop at Aldi's now and then. They seem to always have good prices on produce and most of the time competitive prices on other stuff, but watch it, they will slip in a higher price on something sometimes. Aldi's does not accept credit cards, coupons, or checks. You pay cash, I'm not sure about debit cards. You also do your own sacking with your own sacks. Yesterday we bought what we came for, paid for them, sacked them and was leaving when we remembered one more item we needed to get. Anna went on the car and I went back to get the one item. I got it and I walked up an aisle towards the cashier. Before I enter the aisle I noticed a lady with a cart full of stuff in the parallel aisle. She was walking the speed like she was through and headed to the cashier also. There is only one cashier. I picked up speed walking. She heard my shoes pick up their pace and I heard her cast pick up speed, the metals on it vibrating. I picked up my speed again, almost a run. I heard in the next aisle the lady's cart pick up speed more, where the wheels were vibrating too. Just as I got to the end the lady, elderly, I didn't realize, whipped out in front of me, beating me by a nose. She won our race fair and square. I smile and nodded and motioned her with my free hand to go ahead, she won. She looked at my single item. "Is that all you got?" She said. I'm not sure she was mocking my racing ability or my one item. I told it was. She told me to go ahead in front of her. I did. As I waited on the customer ahead of me in line dealing with paying I heard the old lady behind me struggling to get all her stuff out of the cart. I was about to offer to help her when the cashier rang up my item. Darn, now I feel bad for not helping her. I am lousy at being competitive.

No comments: