Thursday, March 20, 2008

Easter Time Memories


One of the things Easter reminds me of is the feed store.

Next to my uncle Herbert’s Barber Shop (Hunter’s Barber Shop) on Church Street was Reeves feed store*. Normally they had a huge Coke bottle with Coke-color liquid in it. But near Easter they would take the Coke bottle out of the window and replace it with many little color chicks, ducks, and bunnies. When I went to get a haircut near Easter I would always go next door to look at the little animals moving all around the show-window.

As Cobb County became less rural there was a less demand for bulk animal feed. The feed store closed down and Benson’s Hobby Shop took over for a short time before it moved to a free standing store in West Marietta Shopping Center on Sandtown Road.

Things are always changing.


*The below is the only feed store that advertised in the 1955 Marietta High School yearbook the Olympia. To get the text I had to overlap and also include a Manley and Adams ad - which they might be another blog one day - we used to stop by there on Atlanta Street on the way home from grammar school every.

12 comments:

Jean Campbell said...

You can get a look at chicks and ducks right now at one of the Tractor Supply stores. Ours had the 'pens' (really stock tanks with shaving and a heat lamp) ready a few weeks ago.

Last week they had Ducks! I can remember when chicks were 10 cents or less. Now they're $1.50 and up.

Eddie said...

Jean,
Have the baby ducks and chicks been colorized? That was a big thing when I was a kid. It seems that would not be good for them.

Anonymous said...

et,

Have you done a blog on Herbert's Barber shop. Dad always tells great stories about it. A Manley & Adams blog? I worked my way through college and grad school there in the 90's (after they became Marietta Parts). Mr. Adams was a riot. Probably one of my favorite people ever - but I only knew him after he became "softer" in his old age.

j3

Eddie said...

J3,
I remember writing about the barber shop, the sports magazines, spittoons, old Andy the Shoeshine person, the nickel Coke Machine, the row of framed local advertisements and of course his barbers Veach, Brown, and Oscar. Also, watching Herbert interrupting a haircut to quickly step outside on the walk to watch a pretty woman's ass when she walked by - but I don't remember publishing it. After Easter is over, I'll search for it, and it I did, I might do it again with a new slant, or if I didn't I will.
Yeah, I was impressed with Manley & Adams' Service station. The knew how to market the things that attracted kids. Off hand I can not recall what they looked like or their personalities.

Anonymous said...

Eddie,

What was the name of the Barber shop on Atlanta St., on the left (same side as Kay Jewelers) heading north towards the Square?
I remember a guy named Shorty that worked part time in there doing odd jobs. He was ummmm,'different' and one could quite often see him walking or riding his bike around Marietta.

Eddie said...

A,
I think you are thinking of Delk's Barber Shop. Ironically, they lived on Delk Street next door to their competitor, Herbert Hunter.
Then their was the Powell-Boyd Barber Shop at the corner of East Dixie Avenue and Butler Street (now Atlanta Street extension), next to the a smaller version of railroad yard and across the street from Hicks' Grocery.

Deborah Wilson said...

Cute rabbit!

I almost bought a male rabbit just like that a few weeks ago.
Almost...
I wish I had, but unfortunately, I can't handle two right now. Maybe later.

Eddie said...

Deborah,
when you said you almost bought a rabbit like that a couple weeks ago I jumped and said (to myself)"Wait! She already has a rabbit!" Then I read on and saw that common sense prevailed.

Which reminds me never jump to conclusions until you read the whole thing.

Anonymous said...

Eddie,
You came through again. I would never have remembered Delk's Barber Shop.

Eddie said...

A,
Awww shucks! I say embarrassingly while dulling my fingernails with my breath and polishing them with my shirt.

Jean Campbell said...

They stopped coloring baby chicks when they stopped selling them as pets for children because of salmonella. These chicks are intended for 'farm use.'

Eddie said...

Jean,
So, that is why I couldn't find any color chicks on google. They don't exist anymore.