Sunday, March 16, 2008

Anna Ruby Falls postcard - again


Here is another postcard of Anna Ruby Falls.

As I mentioned, Anna and I had our honeymoon at the Unicoi State Park there, back in 1967.

What I didn’t know at the time, the same area of the park is a little settlement called Robertstown. Some of my Trammell relatives lived in Robertstown in the mid 1800s.

Also, about 3 or 4 miles away is the town of Helen. This might not surprise you - the founders o f Helen were my in-laws the England family. Two of the England children married my great-great-great uncle and aunt.

In the past 30 or years they made Helen to look like an Alpine village and is noted for their Oktoberfest ever year. The Englands and Hunters of that time were very religious and probably condemned drinking alcoholic drinks.

Their cemetery is near the river that flows through town. I bet during Oktoberfest you can feel the below ground rumblings if you walk near there.

2 comments:

Deborah Wilson said...

I've been through Helen, Ga many times, but I've never stopped there - I was always going to NC.
One day soon, I will stop. It is a beautiful little town.

Eddie said...

Deborah,
It is nice, with a smaller version of the Chattahoochee River flowing right through town.

But I thought it was nicer before it gave itself a makeover to draw the crowds.