Saturday, March 01, 2008

Old Tavern postcard


The back of this postcard says
Old Tavern. Originally known as the Simmons House built about 1817. Located just outside City Limits on Highway 5 North. This was one of the several Tavern ordered built along the Old Federal Road by Andrew Jackson.

Now, let me get this straight. President Andrew Jackson ordered taverns to be built along the earliest version of a I-85, or I-75, or in this case, I-575? Well, at least Old Hickory was good for something!

Seriously, a tavern back then wasn’t just a place to drink. It was also a place for travelers to eat and stay overnight.

2 comments:

Deborah Wilson said...

I've never understood why someone didn't keep property like this up and running. I know that I would stay overnight in one. Taverns are still popular/common in England and Europe.

Eddie said...

Deborah,
Well, if it kept its true-to-the original charm I would have to think about it. Think of going to the outhouse 50 feet behind the main house, or a chicken or a goat wandering in your room...