Sunday, March 30, 2008

WOMAN OF COLOR, DAUGHTER OF PRIVILEGE


Amanda America Dickson 1849-1893 by Kent Anderson Leslie

Kent and I are both alumni of Marietta High School. We graduated the same year. I knew her and her two brothers well enough to – well, speak to them by name, and they in turn, knew me about the same way.

I knew she had written this book, I read about it in the paper when it was first published and have stumbled on it more than once at the Marietta History Museum. On a visit to the High Museum last year I ran into Kent. We spoke. I decided to get her book and read it. I did and found it very good.

Kent wrote it as her thesis or dissertation , when she was in college.

It is a very well researched book. The end-notes pages take up a big portion of the book.

It mostly takes place in Hancock County, Georgia, and ending mostly in Augusta, Bibb County, Georgia.

A wealthy young plantation man, or brat, David Dickson raped one of the family slaves, Julia Frances Dickson. Julia had a child by this rape, a daughter that was named Amanda America Dickson.

I perked up a this. America is a rare name. She is the second person I know that had that name, except Captain America in the comics. The first person was my mother Ethel America Petty Hunter, or “Janie”.

There are unbelievable amount of censuses, conclusions from the censuses, agricultural reports, state and county laws studied, and statistics and more.

David Dickson did not hide the fact that Amanda was his child and his mother sort of gained possession of her. Legally she was more property of the white ruling family than the daughter of a slave.

In time Julia moved from the slave area to the house and was House-Slave, and through the years more or less ran the household. She even kept the papers and paid venders who delivered things to the plantation – which demonstrates how much trust David had in the lady.

David became the master of the plantation and with his planning it became very productive and he became one of the richest men in Georgia.

Being a self-earned of the richest came with bragging rights which David fully used, he wrote articles on farming – how he did it.

And during this same time Amanda grew up well petted among the white family that care for her.

David said he was very humane with his slaves and it appeared that they had a caste system on the plantation. The more productive a slave was the more benefits he or she got.

After slavery was abolished one old ex-slave on the Dickson plantation remembered the whipping post and the food served in troughs, kind of the same way hogs were fed – how was that for humanness?

Visitors who visited the Dickson house for dinner had a rare experience. Amanda, and I think Julia too, sat at the table and ate with everybody else. They knew ahead of time, if they had a problem with that, then they did not come.

I don’t want to give away too much of the book. Kent looks down every avenue and possibility in the book.

The society in Hancock County, probably more so than most other counties probably was at its height of racism holding the black man down with Jim Crow laws when David Dickson died and left Amanda a fortune. All of his white relatives had a fit and challenged the will. You will have to read the book to see what ruing the courts handed down.

The book also tells how Amanda’s family developed – her husbands and off springs, etc.

I thought it was good and educational – but a bit sad, as far as human dramas go – but that is life.

9 comments:

kenju said...

I think I'd enjoy that one.

Eddie said...

Judy,
I think you would too.
It is not that big of a book - the actual text part is something like 129 or 129 pages. And maybe another 50 to 80 pages of notes and resources listed.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a very good read. I think some of our best American historical writing is about slavery (Aptheker, John Hope Franklin, etc...)

Eddie said...

Steve,
... Joel Chandler Harris...

Anonymous said...

et,

that book was (and is)all the rage in Public History graduate courses. It had just come out when I was working on my MA at Georgia College. Milledgeville being next door to Hancock Co., it was a known local story that we could drive to location and see where events took place.

I had no idea of the Marietta connection. Once again, small world wins!
j3

Eddie said...

J3,
I can see that it would be a big seller in the Milledgeville & Hancock Co., area.
You are right, Small World wins again - at least 4◦ theory proves itself again.
By the way, your Dad and your grand dad, I'm sure probably had dealings with Kent's father one time or another and I'm sure you have heard both her parents name: James T. & Jenny Tate Anderson.

Si's blog said...

Sounds like one I ought to read. Grew up in a Pennsylvania college town, Lewisburg, that had one black family. One girl in my high school class, class of '54. She was never ostracised but did not hang out with her either. The experiences are so different.

Eddie said...

Si,
Here in Georgia, sadly, we were just about forbidden by law to hang out with blacks - segregated schools, social events, even the houses of God. So, I didn't really get to talk to them one on one, equally, until I was in the Navy and later the Postal Service.

Eddie said...

Good book