Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Art postcard and Copycatting




The above postcard is Girl Before a Mirror by Pablo Picasso. I forgot where I bought it – the back says The Museum of Modern Art, but I haven’t there since the early 70s. I think I bought it at the High Art Museum in Atlanta.

The below art was the cover of issue #22 of MAD comicbook. The man’s face is that of Will Elder, one of the best artists MAD ever had.

It makes one wonder, why would Pablo Picasso steal art ideas from MAD? It makes no sense!

6 comments:

Deborah Wilson said...

Using another individuals artwork is not so uncommon. Permission to use has to be granted by the original author/artist, usually accompanied with other publishing details, like fees, etc...

Eddie said...

Deborah,
I do it all the time. It is a wonder I haven't been caught.

Oh well.

Eddie said...

Deborah,

That was a rhetorical tongue-in-cheek question I presented. In other words I was joking.
Of course Pablo Picasso could not have stolen it because the MAD did not exist until 30 years after the Girl Before a Mirror was painted.

I was just poking at people who think their heroes can do no wrong.

kenju said...

I think it should be titled Pregnant Girl Before a Mirror~!

Jean Campbell said...

GBaM does have a 60's look to it, doesn't it?

Eddie said...

Judy,
Not only pregnant, but it is rare to see a well endowed pregnant girl in the mirror.

Jean,

Maybe Pablo had a Peter Max influence.