Saturday, March 22, 2008

♥ NYC


Think back to the last postcard I had on here yesterday. This blue Stain-Glass. This is the back side.

We sent this card to ourselves.

The postmark, the stamp, or our card addressed to ourselves is the story here. The story is in my memory.

We were standing in line at the UN Post Office waiting to buy this stamp. There were about two or three people ahead of us. It was a one-window operation. The lady being waiting on was going through the available stamps picking out the ones she wanted. It was timely for us, but who cares?

Suddenly I heard a man, in front of us, with a Brooklyn accent, say, “Jesus Christ, you gonna take all day lady?”

We were shocked. In the south we only heard that kind of sentence if they were joking. This was no joke.

The window clerk did not pay the man any mind but the lady did. She got all sputtering and nervous. He repeated his rude remark.

She left, glancing at the rude man in quick looks as she walked by him.

Well, I doubt if the lady left to go buy a I ♥ NYC tee-shirt.

5 comments:

kenju said...

Too bad that the clerk didn"t make him wait a lot longer. I would have.

Anonymous said...

I know a guy who was born in Jersey and raised in NY. He once conducted a job interview up there for a trucking company and an applicant (who was completely serious) answered a query about his driving skils with "Listen pal, I'll drive a truck up the crack ah yer ass."

I don't know whether he got the job or not.

Down here, he wouldnt have.

Si's blog said...

A good reason to go to the local post office here.

The woman certainly reacted differently than I would have.

Of course, there is an obvious response: "My name is not Jesus Christ. What is yours, asshole?"

Suzanne said...

I know that is not funny, but I can't stop laughing about it. And Si's response only got me going double.

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
Not funny, yet you are laughing? Hmmmm.
It was funny.