Monday, March 10, 2008

Beatrice Elizabeth Hunter Crain (1903-1971)



Here is my aunt Bee, my father’s only sister. Her real name Beatrice Elizabeth but to some of younger brothers Beatrice was a mouth full – her nickname was “Bee”.

As you can see, Bee was a very stylish lady. The above pictures were probably taken when she worked for Southern Bell. I am pretty sure she is the on the right of the vehicle picture. See the fir coat draped over the door of the car? I assume it is the same coat in the other picture.

Bee married a local businessman, Spencer Crain who owned several local businesses, a car lot, bonding company, rental, and probably more. Bee gave birth to five children and they lived in big house with a big yard. It was big enough to have family reunions and wakes there.

I remember my grandmother lying in her casket in their living room. My grandfather died a couple of years later and I don’t remember a wake for him in the Crains’ house, but I think there probably was.

Bee had a maid. She was motherly lady. I forgot her name, I think it was something like Hattie. Many years later when at the Marietta Post Office I worked with a guy named Sam. One day we were talking and we both realized out what a small town Marietta was back then. His mother was Bee’s maid.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

ET,
wow, I'd never seen a picture of a young Bee. The only ones I have are post-wwII. I know that Granddaddy (Stanley) was real close to Bee, even listing her as his next of kin for the Army. I always got the impression that she was a second mom for the family.

j3

Eddie said...

J3,
I think that is about right. I think she was sort of second in command, with Frank P. being 10th in command.

For a while after WWII she took care of W.C. - but that was a bit too much to handle.

Anonymous said...

Eddie,
There was a wake at Bee's for our Grandfather. I remember it because it was the first dead person I had ever seen. I must have been 4 or 5.
Aunt Bee's maid name, as I remember, was Sarah. Sarah also kept me when my mother went to work. She also worked full time a the Downtown Marietta Cafe next to the old court house. She made the best biscuits in the world.

Eddie said...

Johnny,
Sarah eh?
I think I have her name confused with the maid my aunt on my mother's side who lived not far from your stomping grounds along Stewart Avenue and Talcott (?) Cir.

Deborah Wilson said...

Around what year was these photos taken, Eddie? Looking at the hair, I would guess 1920's or early 1930's. I love the 20's style! But looking at her dress, I would guess...1950's?

Eddie said...

Deborah,
She was born in 1903, and she was got married in November 26, 1931. I bet it was before she was married. I would guesstomate mid-twenties, as in "Roaring 20".

Anonymous said...

ET,

From everything I know, WC was a handful - I have heard too many stories from Johnny over the years about his exploits. He definitely made the other Hunter Boys look tame by comparison.

j3

Eddie said...

J3,
Yeah, I think by comparison the other Hunter brothers were angels.
And, evidently he had something for er- youth.

Did you see on this blog about WC, me, Monty, and our Keller Woods adventure?