Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Abraham Lincoln postcard


This photograph was taken by Mathew Brady’s assistant Anthony Berger. It is the picture that was the model for the Lincoln on the penny. Abe normally signed things A. Lincoln. He signed The Gettysburg Address Abraham Lincoln, which was a rarity but that is where the signature for this card came from.

In this picture his torso seems much thicker than it appeared in pictures that he is standing. It must be the way Anthony slumped him for the portrait. I am fairly certain he wasn’t wearing a bullet proof vest.

2 comments:

Deborah Wilson said...

That picture doesn't look right to me - it looks like he had gained a lot of weight. I don't think slumping would do that. All of the pics that I've seem of Abe, he was a tall, slim man.

Eddie said...

Deborah,
I agree. Maybe when he sat all that tallness sort of bunched up.