Monday, May 27, 2024

 




The top picture is my dad Ed, WC, and Unknown, & Hunter Cow.
The bottom picture is his nephew Jimmy Crain and he at the Vet Hospital in Milledgeville, Ga.

My uncle” W.C.”  (Walter Clarence) Hunter, my Dad’s bother.

“W.C.” also had a first cousin named Walter Clarence Hunter, son of John Rufus Hunter.  He was born in Woodstock and when grown moved to Indiana to work in the steel Mills and married and lived his life there.  His nickname was “W.C.” also.

Our uncle W.C. was born on Clay Street in Marietta.

When his family moved to Manget Steet he fell out of a tree across the street and was unconscious a number of months.

That also happen to me, across Manget Street from their house. I learned a new trick of swinging on the tree I was clinging to and grabbing hold of he neighboring tree and shimmy down to round.  When I called my fiends to watch me show off, the top of the 2nd tree snapped and down I fell.  But I was only unconscious for a few hours.

I think W.C. was the first of his seven brothers to go into WWII.

He was shot in the head and recuperated in Africa.  At a Red Cross W.C. and a friend was outside at a Red Cross or similar drinking coffee when some U.S. Sailors came walking up to the canteen.  W.C. told his friend something like this:  “See that Sailor there?  He looks exactly like my little brother Dick.”

And it was.

When W.C. returned to Marietta, I think is mind was in bad shape.  He hung out with his father’s drinking friends.  They liked to drink  in wooded areas (Cobb County was dry then).

Shortly after he returned I think he married and it was a very short marriage.  They moved to the shore of Lake Jackson.  We visited them one time.

W.C. had a hard time with demons his mind met in the war  As a drinking teenager I have had a few encounters with him.  I think he was   I wasn’t sure he knew I was his brother Ed’s son or not.

He was not able to tend to his own needs.  Several of his siblings took care of him at times.

He has got himself in trouble several times with the law which included Daddy several times.

One time the Lockheed Plant guards called Daddy and said, “Ed come and get your brother, he is here with a gun ordering us off his property.”

He finally was admitted to the Veteran’s Hospital in Milledgeville, Georgia, where  he spent to rest of his life.

I think his mind was completely messed up being in a bloody war defending our country.

 

Walter Clarence “W.C.” Hunter (1908-1998).




No comments: