Saturday, May 04, 2024

Frances, a Christmas Wish

Another story on my late sister Frances:

Back in the 1950s during the Christmas Season the Marietta Daily Journal had s “LETTERS TO SANTA” section, which would publish letters that local kids wrote to Santa.

Frances was a teenager then.  She jokingly said she was going to write a letter to Santa saying:

Dear Santa,

I don’t want much for myself, but I would like for my parents to have a son-in-law.

Yours Truly,

Frances Hunter.

 

One of her friends sent in a letter to Santa c/o of The Marietta Journal saying exactly that.

It made nation—wide news.

Frances begin getting proposals from men all over the United States in care of the MDJ..  She was embarrassed and horrified.

The MDJ sent out a reporter and photographer to interview our family.   Me about ten or eleven was jumping up and down telling the reporter that “Frances is more famous than Margaret Truman!” (Harry’s Daughter).   I was quoted.aaa

Whoever sent the letter never admitted it..  No, it wasn’t me. 

No comments: