Monday, November 27, 2023

Nose Dive

 


I was going through Anna’s late mother Marie Foster Prance’s slides and came across this slide of the Music Bowl on Daytona Beach.  The photo was dated July 1957.

It brought back memories of a crazy thing I did there almost 3 years in the future of that date.

In June 1960, we MHS Seniors and others MHS students went to Daytona Beach.  Some of us got rooms at the Renea just across the street from the bandshell. 

Young teenagers and adults were cruising up and down that street continuously.  Two girls drove by in their car and I very gracefully dove in their driver window and landed in their backseat.  I was somewhat surprised what I did and it was done by me.  The two girls thought it was nutsy and funny.

They pulled over and we talked.  They were down from Cartersville, Georgia.

My friend Larry Holcomb walked oved to where they pulled over and joined the conversation.  One of the girls was named Sheila.  I don’t know the details of their courtship, because after that summer Larry went to College at West Georgia College.    

In time Larry and Sheila married and had kids.  Larry worked at Atlantic Steel and started his own business and Sheila started an antiques business.

Larry died in 2000.


No comments: