Monday, November 20, 2023

I Almost Choke To Death at the Dixie-Inn

 Ed Mulkey, Jr. died two weeks ago. He worked with my sister Frances at the First National Bank in Marietta. When I hear his name I don’t first think of the 1st National Bank of Marietta, but of the Dixie Inn in Woodstock, Ga, just north of here. His father, Ed Mulkey, Sr. owned it.

I remember the Dixie Inn well. It was in Woodstock on Canton Road, about just north of Hwy 92. My family liked to pick up fried chick in white to-go boxes on sometimes on Sundays. I do not know if it was the fried batter or the thin white boxed that kept the heat in, but whatever, it worked!
I worked as a carry out boy at the Big Apple Grocery Store on weekends when I was in high school. If they had a special worth driving to Woodstock for after work chances are we would go.
At times, we have bought their specials and then go to the Drive-In Movies.
The evening that I remember with a chill they had “all you can eat” fish, I think it was red snapper.
While enjoyed the fish and seeing how much I could eat suddenly a fish bone lodged in my throat. I fell to the floor kicking. I thought I was dying. I couldn’t breathe.
No one seem to help me. I think a waitress, ignoring me, had to step over me to deliver her food.
Somehow, it wasn’t my time, the bone popped out. And I jumped up back into my seat, somewhat embarrassed.
And I’m still here.
But the Dixie Inn isn't. A tire company is in its place.



No comments: