Sunday, July 02, 2006

Permanent Fixtures in Downtown Marietta



I am getting to be a regular fixture of Downtown Marietta, just like the water fountain and the Senator Clay statue in the park on the Square. Friday night we went to a rock and blues concert there and last night we went to a concert of the Cobb County Symphony Orchestra, and this morning I took a bike ride in the same area, and into old neighborhoods that I had ties to.

Last night with our friend Brigitte that was Anna’s immediate superior at work for years, Anna’s mother, my sister, and I went to the concert to the same park as the concert we went to the night before. Although this music was not the same as the night before. It drew a completely different crowd, although I did see some people that were also there the night before. The Cobb Symphony played movie themes, classical, such as Tchcikovsky’s 1812 (It has good 4th of July booms), and patriotic tunes. When they played the armed forces theme I stood up, as I was suppose to do with the Navy’s “Anchor’s Away” medley medleyed itself in. I took note that very few in the audience, mostly middle age and older, served in the service. Back then, when most of these men were of their prime, was also the time they should have joined or be drafted.

That is all but the wealthy, who parents had influence to get them out. Gads! I was sitting in a park full of mostly Republicans!

We sat near the roped off section of the elite who paid mega dollars for a table. There you see fancy table settings with flowers, candles, and other pretentious “look at mine!” decorations and nearly table will have wine…. Not beer like the trash on the other side of the rope. We were near a councilman and his wife that we have watched through the years and always found him humorous and interesting.. He and his wife are known for doing very eccentric things. This morning I noticed in his front yard he has three maybe four giant blown up inflatable Uncle Sams holding flags. Last night the head county commissioner and his wife shared a table with them – I don’t know but I would speculate that the councilman and his wife invited the commissioner, who happens to be the most political powerful man in the county to dine with them and enjoy the concert. It was interesting and amusing that the councilman’s wife, who had a low cut on, could not bend down in front of the commissioner too many times.. pouring wine, handing them something, she was always bending. It appeared that the commissioner did not notice, he kept on talking to the councilman.

I should have called the commissioner over by the rope and give him a few pointers on how to steal glimpses of tits… there is nothing to it once you get the hang of it.

And this morning I went downtown at 7am with my bike. There were hardly anybody there except the people working off their fines doing public service picking up trash and me.

It is interesting, early the morning seeing things you have seen all your life – the changes and all. Some good, some bad – and some ugly.

No comments: