Saturday, July 01, 2006

Bike Repair Course this morning

The Bicycle Maintenance 101 Course at the bike store/shop began at 9:00 a.m. It did start then but it was in short excerpts. The store doesn’t open until 10:00 a.m. so he had to break his and our train of thought to go to the front door and let some else new in. It happened about four or five times.

Interesting to know – the bike store leads a group of bikers on bike rides twice during the week. Saturday mornings and Wednesday mornings. The Wednesday morning ride is the most challenging as far as climbing mountains and all. Each ride is about 20 miles.

I’ll pass. I like to do my biking solo. I have rode in groups and it seems everybody is there to show off their latest gear and compete, as far as speed. They might not can keep up with my winding way, who more times than not, will make a U-turn and go back and investigate a little alley or something that I notice when riding by.

Twelve people showed up for the class. Three of us over the hill men. Three blacks, two women, one bashful and awkward and one short and cunning… I suspect she was husband hunting. Two teenagers, which leave four white male WASP yuppies…. Actually the whole class was designed for 1/3/ of the class…. The ones with the money who liked to buy gadgets for their bikes.

He showed us how to change a flat and how to oil a chain and recommended various tools and products for each.

He also explain that some of these adjustments can get complicated and it is better if they (the bike mechanics in the store) do it. Suits me. When the meeting was over, I had them adjust my brakes for free.

The teacher explained all the problems that can go wrong when changing and fixing a flat. Which I decided, if that time comes, the hell with it, I’ll have them do it for a few bucks – at least I won’t pinch my hand.

It was a learning experience and got me in a mood to ride my bike, which I did twice this week but I think I’ll go on a little excursion tomorrow morning.

3 comments:

kenju said...

The last time I rode a bike, I could hardly walk for 2 days. My bottom and bike seats were not made for each other...LOL

gerbil said...

My future mother in law and her friends ride. They put me to shame. One of them is 70+, has angina (has a pace maker) and goes on 60 mile rides in hilly country at least every 1 to 2 weeks. And they think nothing of it.

Eddie said...

Judy,
I think my rear in has a callous on it by being kicked so much, so the seat doesn't bother me.
Gerbil,
Long time!!! I am glad you are visiting when ever you get a chance.
I think the most I have rode is about 16 miles.
When my sons were kids we would ride to downtown, about 7 miles, ride around downtown, then ride back... but that is leisure riding, no serious peddling or anything.