Monday, July 03, 2006

Another Concert

We went to another outside big band concert last night. This time at Kennesaw College where it was very hot and crowded.

It was performed by the same bunch as we saw the night before in downtown Marietta, the Cobb County Symphony Orchestra. They played the same music in the same order and the director even told the same corny punch lines… it seemed he would learn from the lack of response.

One time I walked up to one of the buildings to go to the restroom. When I was approaching the door a man in his 60s or 70s was pushing his invalid wife, who was in a wheelchair. I held the door opened for them. Then there was another door and I ran ahead and opened the door for them again.

Then, when we got to the rest rooms doors the somebody walked out of the women’s and I could see there was a line of women on the inside.

I wondered how he was going to handle that. Was he going to stand dutiful in line with pushing his wife inside the women’s restroom, or would he push right in and ahead of the line heading straight for the handicapped john?

And if so, since I volunteered, more or less, should I go with them? When we got to the head of the line, we each could grab an elbow I suppose and lift her on it to do her business.

I decided to go to the men’s restroom and let them solve that problem themselves.

They had beautiful fireworks. We sat close to where the staging area or ground 0 was for the launching of the fireworks. It was very noisy and gunpowder smell smoky. But it was enjoyable, not so much being right there but just the thought of citizens universally celebrating the nation’s birthday. It caused an emotional stir in my tear ducts.

Also, interesting, for whatever reason, there were more service men to stand this time. The Navy and Airforce seemed to have the most. But the Marines were the loudest, with war whoops and rebel yells.

No comments: