Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Thank You For Serving!


click on to see picture details and me



It has happened a lot lately.   Somebody asks me  if I served in the Armed Forces and I replied, "Yes, the Navy."
And like a automatic expected response they will say, 

"Thank you for serving."

I feel like blushing and saying something like, "Aw shucks,  it was nothing."

I am telling the truth.  There wasn't much to it, as for as being heroic.   The base I was stationed at, NAS Lakehurst, N.J. 08733*, which was almost equal distance between New York City, Philadelphia, and Atlantic City.  We kept the roads hot going to the big cities to have fun.

As I remember,  the above picture** shows me holding the only weapon I used while serving.  And it was a rubber tomahawk  while playing cowboys and Indians at my uncle Roy Petty's place, about 60 miles north of NYC.

*But I am proud that I still remember the zip code, after 50 years.


** first cousin Rodney Petty;  Me (With Indian  feathered head-dress on); Navy buddy Joe Rexroad;  and other first cousin Billy Petty.

No comments: