Wednesday, June 03, 2020

Marietta Pilgrimage 2007







This house that looks like a building in nicknamed THE ALAMO.  I did not know that.



The Frank Owenby family of Owenby Mfg Co owned and lived in this mansion in the mid 50s.  I was Frank's son Paul's friend, and we had sort of a club house in back at what used to be the slave quarters.  The parents have died and the four children went their separate ways.  I read that one of the daughters had died.  My friend Paul moved Owenby Mfg to Blairsville, Ga.  The oldest son Frank still lives in Marietta.  I'm sure they are still a wealthy family, but several years ago I saw Frank leaping over people and almost knocking them down rushing through K-Mart to a Blue Light Special.

I think now it is know as its historical name THE HOLLAND HOUSE.  It housed yankiee generals in the Civil War and was the head quarters for a General who, after the war, came to help get the South back on their feet again.






The residents of this house on Kennesaw Avenue were relatives of  Secretary of State Dean Rush.  I know, because my late friend Jenky Latimer also was related to Dean, and he dropped by here often.

The was the home of my arch-enemy in high school, the assistant principal, George Griffin.  Whoever had had the house after George died put a private theater in the barn in the back.


No comments: