Monday, June 15, 2020

Franklin, Macon County, NC 2008

Franklin, North Carolina, is the county seat of Macon County.  It is directly north of Clayton,  Georgia,, about 15 to 20 miles.  It is like any other county seat in the south these days, their biggest tourist commodity is antique stores and tea shops.
My ancestors and cousins of my Hunter, Ray, Trammell, and Ridley lines lived here.  Many cousins of the same names still do.

The Family Researchers of the Ray family meets annually and we try to go as often as we can.








This was the county jail at one time.  My first thought was that my ancestor Jason Henderson Hunter, and his son William A. Trammell/Hunter had probably spent more than one night in this building but investigating more I read this jail was built in the early 1900s.  Jason H. Hunter was the town constable and was locked up often for defying Judges orders pre 1850s and William and his uncle Van Trammell were locked up in about 1865/66 for murder, but they were not there long, they escaped. 


I think this is the steeple of an earlier court house that the elderly residents still miss (tell me about it).





Nikwasi Indian Mound in Franklin, NC, a ruckus is brewing just who owns it and should earn can make a buck off it.

No comments: