Saturday, June 06, 2020

Glover Street. Part 2

cont -



Across from the street from the Texaco a girl our age, Carolyn, lived with her family.  Carolyn had long stringy blondish hair, tall and awkward.  I think there was a tall hedge at the street, which hid their unpainted frame house.  Due to no fault of her own, she was an outcast.  She kept to herself.  I felt sorry for her and try to smile and speak, but she ignored me.  Suddenly she was out of school and she and her family moved to a shack on the edge of Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield Park, on Kennesaw Avenue.  Now, a yuppy subdivision is where their house and barking dogs were.  I wonder what ever happened to Carolyn.  Hopefully Karmen caught up with her and did great in her adult life.

Next to the Texaco Distributor was an unpainted house.  Charlie and his sister lived there.  Charlie was blind.  His blank eyes stood out in wonder.  On their back porch were steps to the back yard.  A clothes line attached to the house with the other end attached to their outhouse.  That was the only way Charlie could find the way there.  I visited them many times.  Charlie knew my daddy and his brothers.   He told me of my daddy and my uncles’ mischievous adventures.  I wish I retained them. 

Years later after we moved to another part of town.  Then a preteen after a movie  I walked into a taxi company downtown on Mill Street.  I needed a ride home, it was raining.  Charlie was the dispatcher.  Charlie knew the streets of Marietta and probably did well on his job.  But weeks later Daddy told me Charlie died and was buried in he Potter’s Cemetery off Barnesmill Road.  After that much of that area was paved over for the new I-75 plowing through town.

Behind Charlie’s and sister’s house was a little clump of wild plumb trees.  I used to enjoy going there looking for tree mice nests.  I don’t remember what I did and I found some baby mice just lying there, just marvel at them I suppose.

Delk Street ran from East Dixie Avenue and ending on Glover Street, almost across he street from Charlie’s house.  On the corner of Delk and Glover was Miss Julie’s Store.  The had a bench outside and it seemed there were always two or three women inside gossiping with Miss Julie just sitting there with her arms folded.  She seemed very judgmental.  I don’t remember anything she had but a wide assortment of candies.  But if I remember correctly she must have sold meat, there was a big butcher’s block and a scale near her chair and cash register.  Her store is gone now, replaced by an electrical  company.

None of the homes had a paved driveway, neither did the houses on Manget Street., or East Dixie Avenue.

to be continued.

No comments: