Tuesday, February 16, 2010

One Thing Leads To Another


click on the above to make it larger and readable.

Yesterday, included with the daily OLYMPIAN stuff was an ad for Cobb Exchange Bank.

Cobb Exchange Bank Ad

Mike D. commented that he remembers walking through the Cobb Exchange Bank as it was being built with our friend Sarge. They noticed a little tunnel between the main building and the drive-thru island, which was for pneumatic tubes.

When he said underground tunnel it reminded me the bank had another tunnel one time, an unwanted tunnel. Some outlaws dug a tunnel from the building across the street to the bank.

I mentioned this in the comments and Mike said he found a news article about it:

Ocala newspaper, From April 23, 1974, only a picture of a police office coming out of the tunnel. Says the robbers got little money.

click here for newspaper story

Which reminded me of a story in the second issue of MAD Comicbook about MELVIN MOLE by Will Elder and Harvey Kurtzma - above is a page of the MELVIN MOLE story.

Just a little note on everything being connected, or no more than 4 degrees away - In the building across the street that the tunnel was dug from a friend of mine, Horace A. had a photography studio and I think my aunt had her real estate office in the building as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was a Horace Loudermilk who had a photography studio in the Strand Bldg. *I think*.

Eddie said...

There was a Loudermilk Studio in the Strand Building, offhand I don't if his name was Horace or not. But it is a different Horace anyway. I know the Horace I spoke of in this post.