Thursday, February 11, 2010

1956 OLYMPIAN - Ads



If you are sharp you probably noticed that the first page today was the last page yesterday. There is a reason for that. I am trying to insert any memories I have of any joints advertised. I let Jones Drug store slip by me, so I would like to talk about Jones Drug Store. First, they had a small drug store as part of the Strand Theater complex. There, many years ago, my mother-in-law worked for them. She makes very tasty potato salad. She learned how to make her potato salad from Doctor Jones, he taught her how. He would buy a live chicken, wring it's neck in the back of the store and also pluck the feathers, and then, I suppose clean it, then boil it. And the rest is merely details.

Later Jones Drug Store moved out Roswell Road across the street from Roswell Street Baptist Church. I hung out there some to read their magazines. Mrs. Jones seemed to all over the store all the time. She also had Dickie Thomas' mother assisting her displaying the merchandise and behind the lunch counter was Cora J., who was very popular with the high school students and a shy timid girl who never charged me for anything I ordered from her.

For some unknown reason, I remember one of Doctor Jones' fingers was mostly gone. I don't know why. Maybe a chicken decided to stand up for its rights, an animal rights thing.


3 comments:

G said...

Was Louise married to Dr. Jones or his son? After they divorced, Louise and Carol ended up with the drugstore.

I remember Louise did not mind kids reading the magazines as long as we put them back "neatly".

Here's a funny memory. My cousin from NJ spent a summer with me in Marietta. My mom was not home during the afternoon ... she was helping Polly out at the jewelry store. Soooo, everyday around noon, my cousin and I ordered lunch at Jones and had it home delivered (a daily fix of hamburgers and fries). We got away with it til my Dad saw the bill, lol

Eddie said...

G,
I'm not sure who Louise is. Was she the gray or white haired lady that always had a serious look.
I remember Carol.
Well, I always read magazine at Jones', I'm glad I wasn't scorned because I did.
You ordering lunch and having it delivered reminds me of story of my family and Jimmy Pat Presley that I will have to share soon.

G said...

She had white hair as far back as I can remember.

Eager to hear the Presley story