Saturday, October 04, 2008

It Came From the Gates of Hell


Last night, near midnight, we were watching TV. Willow wanted out. I opened the door to the deck and she went out into the darkness and I heard her run down the steps.

Normally, she runs down the deck steps, she does her business, then runs back up and scratches on the door and I let her in. We don’t worry about her wandering off because the deck stairs lead to a fenced in back yard.

Time passed and she didn’t scratch on the door. More time past. I thought I had better check on her.

I went out on the deck. From the deck, our back yard was very black. You couldn’t see anything but a big black pit. I hollered for Willow and no response. Usually in the dark when I holler for her I hear her dog tags jingle and up she comes. Not this time. Hmmm?

I cautiously walked down the steps into the darkness.

Then I heard it. It sounded like giant wings flapping! Did she have a hold of a giant bird of prey, such as an owl or a hawk? There was no screeching or squawking that a giant bird would make and no growling that Willow would make. The flapping continued.

I ran back up the steps, told Anna it sounds like Willow is in the backyard fighting with some huge winged bird. I got the forehead light and put it on my head and the big flashlight. As I was rushing back to back yard Anna turned on the spot light of the back yard.

I rushed down the steps ready to do battle with maybe a winged monster from the Gates of Hell Willow ran into view with an empty plastic water bottle. Her teeth against the plastic bottle gave off a noise of giant wings flapping.

Whew!

2 comments:

kenju said...

That's a good story for Halloween!

Eddie said...

Judy,
All the story needs is a dog howling in the background.