Thursday, October 23, 2008

Hello Dali! Meeting Time



This morning I met two of my ex-coworkers Tony and Herman for breakfast at Cracker Barrel. We are all retired now. Time means nothing now that we are retired, or does it?

We agreed to meet at 9:00am. I left the house a few minutes after 8:00. On the way over I thought that all three when working were habitual early. We were never late…. Well, rarely late. Herman said he was late one time in his thirty plus years, I don’t think Tony has ever been late, and I have been late once too (during a snow storm was I was 5 minutes late).

I drove up in the Cracker Barrel parking lot at 8:30. Thirty minutes early. I thought they would probably be early too. I went inside and looked over the flood of merchandise available – things with COKE logos, UGA logos, books, audio books, bird houses, and you name it. Tony arrive at 8:43 and while I was shaking hands with Tony Herman walked in. We were all at least 15 minutes early.

I wonder how does early-aholics set a meeting time. Because all three of us were there by 8:45 we should have said, “ok, lets meet at 8:45”. Then we would have all arrived by 8:30.

Maybe we should have went to other way on the clock and said, “OK, lets meet at 9:15” – and then at least the Estimated Time of Arrival would be what we wanted it to be anyway, 9:00.

Our meeting was good. We talked about old times and “remember when…” and “whatever happen to….” And about how our family members were doing.. and how stupid supervisors can be.

We had such a good time we decided to do it again soon… if we can ever figure how to settle on a meeting time.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to be there first, but I went to Cracker Barrel instead of Crackle Barrel.

Eddie said...

Tony,

Opps! I said Crackle instead of Cracker didn't I?

Well, I goof again!

kenju said...

I'm always early, too, unless Mr. kenju keeps me from leaving home on time!

Deborah Wilson said...

I'm late for everything - I always seem to operate in 2nd gear.

Eddie said...

Judy,
Poor Mr. Kenju. Maybe he just prefers to be fashionably late a few minutes.

Deborah,
Like me, Anna doesn't know how to be late either. Our son Adam is always early too.
But on the other hand, our son Rocky is always some late..fashionably late. He feels being early is a waste of good time.

Postino said...

Years ago I saw a motivational film about Vince Lombardi, the Green Bay Packers coach, who operated on "Lombardi time," which is "fifteen minutes early." You guys were on Lombardi time.

I can't stand being late. I will also be somewhere 15 minutes early. On the other hand, I believe it would be impossible for my brother to arrive anywhere less than 15 minutes late, so we will always tell him the party starts at 8:00, and everyone else it starts at 8:30. That way everyone gets there at the same time.

Anonymous said...

At my house, I have always applied the term "AIS" when showing up somewhere on time or early, as I prefer.

AIS-Ass in seat!!

Suzanne said...

The early bird catches the grits! Or something like that.

Eddie said...

Whew! My computer on-line system has been down all day!
With the help of a nice Indian lady my modem is up running and with the help of a Philippine lady my router is running also. I got to give them credit, they were very patient with me.

So, as I was saying:

El Postino,
Anna and I don't know how to be late. One time we said we were going to be late to a birthday party and of course was about 20 minutes early, so we rode around in their neighborhood passing back and forth several times.

Tony,
Ass in seat! My oldest son would have ran away.

Suzanne,
Publix had a sale on grits last week - buy one and get one free. I told someone one time that the early bird gets the worm and they asked me what did the worm get?