Saturday, March 10, 2007

The Clermont and the Entertainer April March



Here is an old post card of the Clermont Hotel on Ponce de Leon Avenue in Atlanta. The Clermont was up the hill eastward from the Sears building.

On the ground floor of the Clermont was a lounge. Which was uniquely named The Clermont Lounge.

I also found a newspaper ad for the Clermont Lounge in 1968, which was 3 years after out visit.

In 1965 my friend Rueben visited me. We were stationed together in Lakehurst, New Jersey. He had just got out of the Navy and he stayed with my family and me for a week or so to check out the job market. He went back into the Navy and made a career of it. He is now an English teacher and reads this blog in Bangkok.

Hi Rueben!

One night when he was visiting he and I went night clubbing. We went to the Clermont Lounge. There, a lady singer sung sultry songs. I don’t remember the details but do remember she was a good entertainer and good singer. Her name was April March.
I think at the time she was fairly well known as a singer… or at least the man who introduced her said so… said she sung for the best, he might have she entertained kings and queens in Europe, maybe even the Pope.

After she sung a few songs she took a break. Reuben asked our waiter to ask Ms March to join us, we would like to buy her a drink.

I thought, “What the shit?”

Now what? What if she wants the most expensive drink in the place? Who pays for the next round? I thought there was no need in worrying about it, she wouldn’t come anyway.

Then there she was standing in front of us. She sat down and she ordered a drink. We chit chatted about nothing in particular and she probably saw this was getting nowhere, thanked us for the drink and in her own way, said, “Break time over – thanks!” and went back entertaining.

I ran a google image search on April March and discovered there is a lady by the name of April March, who is evidently a popular singer, but this is was born April 1965. She would have been two about 5 or 6 months old, so I don’t think this is the one we bought a drink for. However, there was another April March with only one picture shown, she was a well-known exotic dancer and/or a stripper. This may or may not have been the April March we had a drink with. Now that I remember it she did dance sole and may have belted out a few erotic songs – but I’m not sure.

7 comments:

kenju said...

Well, if you're not sure - who is? LOL Maybe you had one too many drinks that night, Eddie!

Eddie said...

42 years ago is long time to remember.

Anonymous said...

What I remember most about that night was that coats and ties were required. In that we did not meet dress code standards, these items were provided. As I recall we looked like clowns in their poka dot ties and pink sports coats. Cheers.

Working Girl said...

WOW. Coats and ties required at the Clermont Lounge? In the early '80s I tended bar at the Celebrity Club (long since closed), also on Ponce (across from the Krispy Kreme). The Clermont, at that time, no longer required coats and ties, and was known for its geriatric strippers.

Eddie said...

Reuben,
I don't remember the coats and ties we were forced to wear. We looked enough like clowns already.

Working Girl,
Thanks for dropping by. You have a two very good looking blogs. I can't say the 3rd one was all that great, it may be, but as you know, it is password only.

Suzanne said...

April March is a great stage name. I'll have to remember it, just in case.

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
Just in case what?