Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Taking Advantage of the Location

Yesterday evening on PBS they had an Antique Road Show in Delaware at what used to be a DuPont Family Mansion but is now a park. It bought back a Navy memory: One Sunday a bunch of us piled into Naval buddy Dick Graham’s car and went to the DuPont mansion in Delaware for a water concert. The water concert was a live orchestra concert with bunches of fountains spirting off in-timed with the music. It was a moving visual and sound experience. Dick, before the Navy was a professor in Michigan. Hanging out partially with Dick and Sam Kasuske and Don Lash, with them introducing and explaining events like this I think I should have unofficially earned my liberal arts degree. Sam, one weeknight took me to New York City, a church basement in the Village to see the musical Off-Broadway Play THE FANTASTICKS. Another weeknight we drove to Atlantic City’s Boardwalk and stood outside with the crowd with the Democratic National Convention, on the inside, when Lyndon B. Johnson was selected as the party’s presidential candidate, which incidentally was LBJ’s birthday. We even saw fireworks over the water which produced a LBJ likeness and had HAPPY BIRTHDAY in flames. Onetime Sam gave me a good talking to telling me how lucky we were being close proximity as we were to NYC, Atlantic City, and Philadelphia so take advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity and get off my ass and see all the things available. I took his advice. Now, where is my sheepskin?

No comments: