Saturday, April 01, 2023

Nick Cole, descendant ot Henry Cole. Yankee Spy

This is Nick Cole. I met him at a Cobb Landmarks meeting a couple years ago. At the time I did not catch his first name, I must have been studying his horsd'voeuvre more than I was trying to retain his first name. I was what might be called dumbstruck over Nick Cole's heritage. His progenitor , Henry Cole., was certainly a history maker of Marietta and more which extended a wider range than the Marietta City Limits. Henry Cole owned a hotel about where Schillings' Restaurant is today. It was no secret before and during the Civil War he was a pro-Union. And I believe I read that there was evidence that he was a Union Spy. He may have got himself into hot water because of his activities. I feel the most humane action he did was to donate his own land for burial of the dead Union Solders. And it still continues today. The name is now The Marietta National Cemetery. He, his family and some members of the Fletcher family (owners of the Fletcher House aka Kennesaw House have their own small plot about where some cemetery paved drives cross almost in the center of the cemetery, near the top of the hill. Long before the Civil War Native Americans were required to leave their weapons at the Cole House before entering the city limits of Marietta.: early weapon control. When Nick Cole and I introduced ourselves and I realized he was the living descendant of legendary Henry Cole I felt I was looking at live history talking, breathing, and munching.

No comments: