Friday, April 21, 2023

from Marie's Postcard Collection: USS ANDERSON

Marie's Postcard Collection. This is a postcard of the Naval Destroyer U.S.S. ANDERSON commissioned in 1939. On the reverse side the card is written to Marie's mother, it starts off, "Dear Mrs Foster".. apparently it is from an neighbor's son who joined the Navy. It said he will probably be transferred out very soon and says he "likes the Navy very much". I know how he felt, I do too. HOWEVER! The only bad memory I have of Naval living is when I was aboard the destroyer U. S. S. NEWPORT NEWS. No bathroom privacy. No matter what time you choose to go to the head, in the middle of the day or middle of the night the head had limited numbers of toilets so usually there was a line, then when you did get to sit down, you would almost be touching knees when a swabby sitting right in front of you, and if he was long legged, well.... To me, it wasn't not a time to make small talk.

No comments: