Friday, April 03, 2020

Lakewood, NJ, Criminals, and Chicken Farming


This is near the entrance of the Laurel of the Pines Country Club, Lakewood, New Jersey, under five or six miles to our Naval Base.  This place intrigued us because we could not get in.  Was it a Mafia hangout or what?  We will never know (not that it is any of our business).

There is one movie theater in Lakewood.  It is on the Main Street.  We went there often.  And of course we were drawn to the two bars on the small side street that came up beside the theater.  Unsavory characters hung out at both bars.  One bar we named BAR X and the other we named BAR Z.  In BAR X was a motherly looking lady who looked a lot like Aunt Jamami had a favorite song she sung to patrons, preferably close face to face whispering, I don't know the name of it but the words went something like this:
Play with my Box,
And I'll suck your Cock.

I know, I know, Box an Cock do not rhyme exactly, but the poetic thought was there anyway.

Speaking of bars in and around Lakewood.  Between Lakewood and Lakehurst was a roadside bar. It was non pretentious that working people went to.  I was on the way to see a movie in Lakewood, alone, and decided to stop for a drink.  Then, most bars had had video juke boxes.  You put in coins and select what music you want to see and here.  You will see mostly bands playing.  This bar had a video juke box and some couples were out on the floor dancing.  I sat at the bar next to a woman and her husband.  During small talk I learned it was their wedding anniversary.  Her husband was a chicken farmer.  She was crying, she wanted to dance.  Her husband was quiet, tall, wearing a ball cap and not attentive to her wants at all.  With a smile I asked him why didn't he dance with his wife.  He ignored me, no comment.  Thinking because of the loud music he may not have heard me, I asked him again.  He suddenly, on his bar stool spinned around and face me and said, "You dance with her Butterball!"
I laughed.  He repeated his demand and added: "NOW!"
I told told them I had to go to the restroom, and left them, with me smiling.
Instead of turning for the restrooms I went straight, hit the parking lot running and got in my car and drove away. 

Back then, mid 1960s. there were plenty of chicken farms between NAS Lakehurst and Lakewood, NJ.  Maybe too many.  I know of one that apparently went under.  They had a chicken house for rent.  Some friends in the squadron decided to put up the money and move in.  I think they probably bought used furniture and signed up for "Conrats" and moved in.  One night Donald Lash paid them a visit.  And another friend who did not live there visited the same time with his date.  I don't know the details but I think the visitors became too drunk to drive so the visitors spend the night on the floor.  In the middle of the night Don heard a noise that woke him up and by the moon light she saw  one of his friends over the passed out girl rubbing his penis all over her and she did not know a thing.  I think more than one guy anticipated.   

Which reminds me beside the city limits sign of lakewood was a sign that said all criminals must register.  Interesting, is it that the only law you are breaking is not admitting you were a criminal, which makes you a criminal.  I wonder if they count childhood pranks or dry humping a sleeping beauty?

No comments: