Monday, April 13, 2020

Chumley's

In the 1960s this was the entrance to Chumley's in Greemwich Village in NYC. first it takes an unmarked door on the streets takes you in through a courtyard, sort of, and you pick a certain door an bang on it.  Someone will let you in.  In was a Speakeasy during prohibition and continued their entrance tradition.  Look!  There is my cubemate Mark doing that now.  
The food was good and reasonable but what was fascinating was tried to pick out authors hanging out there.  We spotted Shel Silverstiein an more.
The walls were lined with framed book jackets of frequent visited authors.
I wrote about it more than once in this blog.  
About ten or so years ago a writer from the New York Times called me said they after the place burned up a bunch of NYC firemen and policemen chipped in and are rebuilding it and every time he tried to do some on-line research he ran into chicken-fat.  He asked me what I thought of Chumley's reopening, I told him and he quoted me.
My ten minutes of fame.

No comments: