Wednesday, October 11, 2017

On this date in history, Oct 11, 1726




On this date in 1726 Benjamin Franklin returned from England.  I don't know how he did in England but when he went to France he was known as a Tomcat at the time.
Also, this is as good place as any to mention a claim to fame:
Speaking of Franklin and his business abroad, he and John Jay made several trips to France to work on terms of  peace between the U.S. and England with the American Revolution.
Doing family research on the Ridley family I stumbled across a Matthew Ridley, who owned a boat in Baltimore that furnished transportation to and from the peace talks.

I do not know if us Pettys are related to this Matthew Ridley or not.  I do know our ancestor and Revolutionary War soldier William Ridley, who fought on Kings Mountain, had a son named Matthew.   I don't know anything about this Matthew, but could be.

No comments: