Thursday, October 05, 2017




A week or so ago, on my bike,  I lost the little 2 inch long rubber grip on the handle bar right side.  Not only did it make you control your bike steering easier, but it also kept your break handle  and gear switch easier to work.  With it off, they were wobbly and hard to turn.
This morning I carried my bike to Free-Flite Bikes.  I arrived a few minutes after 10:00.  A crew of young men were rolling bikes out to the sidewalk.
I asked the oldest-looking, the one that looked to be in charge and told him the rubber thing I needed.  I called it a two inch rubber extension.  He told me he didn't know what I was talking about. 
Luckily enough, I foresaw he might not know what I was talking about, I brought the bike with me in the back of the truck.
He walked out with me and said what I needed was a handle bar rubber grip.
He asked me when I was the last time I brought it in for adjustments.
Never.
It is a Trek Bike.  He said, they give free adjustments for life.
I rolled it in and in the shop part of the store he put it on a rack and adjusted both breaks, and gears, put air in the tires, but a new rubber handlebar grip on and tightened all the nuts and bolts.
He asked me my name and he looked me up on the computer.  I bought it in 2006.  I have had for eleven years.  I thought it was longer..
He, again, said no charge.
I don' know if it is Trek Bike guarantee that they will give minor tune ups for life or Free-Flite's.  Or my dazzling good looks? 
Either way, I expected to buy two "rubber extension things" and of course spend money.  I left with a better bike and it was all free.  Free as in Free-Flite!

Hoorah Free-Flite!

No comments: