Thursday, January 31, 2008

Primary Thoughts


This week is primary week in Georgia. And next Tuesday will be the official primary vote day in Georgia. We can vote this week or next Tuesday for whom we hope to be our next president…. Or who we don’t want to be our president – wait, let me explain.

Historically, during the primary some people have used the ballot of the their opposing party to vote, and they voted for their opposing party’s weakest candidate, thus hoping, the weakest candidate will be running against their party’s candidate in November.

That is why Lester Maddox got to be Governor. Many Republicans voted for Lester Maddox thinking he would be the weakling running against Republican Bo Callaway. Lester got enough votes to tie the election and it was thrown in the Georgia House of Representatives for them to vote for our next Governor. What wasn’t counted on was the party-loyalty element. At that time (1966) there were more Democrats in the Georgia Legislation than there were Republicans. Lester won.

And also if you want to vote for an ideal when it would do most good – I think the primary is just the time for such a vote. For instance, if you wanted to vote for a person who has been campaigning for a cleaner environment, vote for them with your primary ballot. They probably won’t win, but the votes are counted, and say, 20% of the people voted for the environment candidate…. The other candidate would say something like “hmmmmm …. I could use that 20%” So, he/she will probably talk environment issues to try to persuade those 20%.... environment is just an example… you could pick the person that is mostly anti-Iraq fightings, or the person who wants to bomb them back to the stone age (as General LeMay), or any other cause you think is worth your vote… it might help persuade the most popular candidates to compete for your vote.

Here in Cobb County during primary voting they usually have a bunch of Republican voting booths but only two or three Democrats booths, which mostly stay empty. The Republican voter line is long and Democrat line there is no waiting. You can’t beat that.

I am surprised there are not two exit doors – one for Republicans and one for Democrats. They have us in groups already. Then the Democrats could walk out their door where a FBI prison bus will be ready to take us traitors away.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

E,

Glad someone else in the family is aware of the FBI list. I have been on it for years b/c of contributions to lots of nutty Dems (and not just for that "incident" at the Bridge in '90. Great post

Eddie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deborah Wilson said...

Eddie,

Good post. I've been reading MDJ - some good articles in there. I'm an independant, haven't decided yet.

Eddie said...

Deborah,
Thanks!
You are doing the wise thing - making up your own mind instead of bending to peer pressure.

Eddie said...

J3,

Thanks. You made my list with bridge incident. You made my day when I read about it in the paper.

Several times, because of that, you have been my claim to fame.

janie said...

Good Post.

My name is Janie, and I am a Republican. (feels like I am standing at the AA meeting) I am not anxious to go to the polls this year.

It isn't that I don't respect what McCain lost in Viet Nam: I certainly do.

My problem with him is what he has done since. When his efforts have all been done in collusion with liberal Dems, and are all against what I believe in, I fear we are going to lose the farm this election. He doesn't know beans about finance, will let every illegal stay. Honestly, I am far more impressed with (gasp!) Hilary.

Republicans can win the White House, and the Democrats can rejoice anyway this year.

You should move to Austin, Eddie. It is a sea of Dems in the middle of a Conservative desert. Really a Hoot!