Thursday, January 24, 2008

Another Night in the Library


I went to the Main Library in downtown Marietta yesterday evening to hear a lecture of the history of Cobb County. I met my sister there – who also loves our local history.

This is the 2nd evening in a row I spent at the Main Library. Again, no homeless people hanging around. If they were ran off, I think that is terrible. If they found a more comfortable place, good for them.

While waiting on the lecturer the room begin to fill up. I over overheard a young couple behind me talking about a trolley car they are putting into service soon. It will be a Marietta History-On-Wheels trolley that will do a sweep of Marietta.

I couldn’t help myself – I had to jump into the conversation. The young man told me the trolley-like bus will hold about 22 people, the driver, and a docent. The docent will point out historical and interesting points as. If I remember correctly the tour will cover three long streets with many historical homes and also Kennesaw Mountain.

I wish them good luck. I would love for something like that to be in Marietta.

I just hope there is a market for it. I suspect the locals that would take the tour will do it only once – it is like paying more than once to see the same movie… but maybe not, some locals might feel it is an idea way to show their visitors just how impressive Marietta is.

My sister arrived. She told me she just ran into our first cousin
Bobby
in the lobby.
(sorry – that was too tempting). Bobby told her that he and his wife are looking for a new place to move. A developer has bought every house in the subdivision they live in. Now, it is time to find a place and move on…. Out goes the old and incomes a new condo complex or something…. Tch tch.

Dr. Thomas A, Scott gave an excellent talk. He was born and grew up in Tennessee. He wrote his dissertation on Cobb County, Georgia, moved here and is a professor at Kennesaw College – he has been here over 3 decades. He is very knowledgeable with names, dates, and movements. And he knows how to tell what he knows in mind-digestible terms.

He told how Cobb County, a rural county became a boom county and how once we were a one party county (Democrat) and then a near 50-50 county, then a one party county again (Republican). He also compared the influx of people in statistics in terms of political party preferences, income, and race – in particular blacks. In the 70s this county’s black population shrunk to a very small percentage and now is on the rise.

He predicted we are on the way to a two-party county again, which will be a good thing. A one party county (Republican or Democrat) tends to stand still or not solve pressing problems.

It was a very good talk. I bought his book a couple years ago and just might read it again.

4 comments:

Deborah Wilson said...

Eddie,

I bet that was a very good lecture. I've been reading about the planned trolley and I can't wait for it to get started. I don't know, it might be a big hit with the locals. I know that I would ride it more than once, I have grandkids and friends to show around. Plus, with the Marietta Conference Center about to become a 'Hilton', I'm sure that Marietta will be getting a lot of out-of-town visitors/tourists.

Speaking of neighborhoods and redevelopment, a lot of them are about to go, but with some, they will be around for another 5 years or so.

Nothing remains the same....

Eddie said...

Deborah,

It was a good lecture. This is the 2nd one I attended by him, Dr. Tom Scott, he is very informative in an entertaining way.

I hope it works out for the tour trolley. I think Anna and I would go at least once, and possibly more when showing visitors around town.

Yep, that is right - sadly, nothing remains the same. Each time I notice an old house or barn I am used to seeing gone I say, "why didn't I take a picture of that?"

Which reminds me, our little older subdivision of about 100 homes are right in the middle of McMansions on all sides - it is just a matter of time... the bulldozers have us surrounded, all aimed at us.

Suzanne said...

Hasn't that developer heard that the real estate market crashed?

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
Marietta hasn't heard the news yet. They are still building sun up to sun down.