Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Genealogy Research Stuff


I went to the Cobb County Genealogical Society meeting last night at the Main Library in downtown Marietta. I was reluctant to go because of the bad rainy near freezing weather but I think it was good that I went. For one thing I found out my library card had expired.

Another thing, I enjoyed an informative lecture on genealogy research by Kenneth Thomas. Ken has a genealogy column in the Living* section of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution Sunday edition.

Ken Thomas’s lecture was different method’s of research and what is available on the Internet. Some of it was common sense and some I already knew, and some I didn’t know.

One interesting tactic is if, when in a cemetery, you come across a relative’s grave that you would like more information about him or his family, and there are flowers on the grave leave a note in a clear plastic zip-lock bag and ask the person leaving the flowers to get in touch with you….. I thought I knew all the backdoor methods, but I never thought of that.

But unless I really snag a good interesting trail I think my researching days are over.

I need to start putting my researched material in order. I have a big 4 tall 4 drawer filing cabinet, and about 12 big boxes in the basement all stuffed with stuff I have come across.

I have just about decided to scan all the articles and everything else I accumulated in the way of family information and have it all on electronic files and throw away the paper files. The paper stuff just takes up too much room and is an eyesore. I think what I accumulated will be safer digitized… I think the paper stuff is going to end up a dumpster one way or the other anyway – either I do it, or somebody else will do it after my body gets cold.

I have spent the past two days scanning and giving file names…. Hey! It is kind of fun!

Also, this evening was the first time in a long time I have been to that library that homeless people were not in the magazine reading area holding a book or magazine and dozing, or giving themselves a wet paper towel bath in the rest room. Does this mean there has been a surge in the economy and all the homeless people have jobs and warm homes to go to?

No, it probably means they found a legal way to keep the homeless out. No Lottering!

*The Living section of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution Sunday edition was much better when it was called “Dixie Living”.

2 comments:

Jean Campbell said...

I looked forward to Ken Thomas' columns when I lived where the Journal-Constitution was regularly delivered.

Back in the early 80s, there was a man who lived in his car and spent his days at a branch of the Clayton County Library. Too much to describe here, I'll have to put him in one of my blogs.

Eddie said...

Jean,
I don't know for certain, but I would almost bet Ken's column is someplace in the AJC.com on-line every week.