Saturday, August 26, 2006

To Bee or Not To Bee

Will it be the end of the human race or not?

I have heard lately more than once that our honey bees population is dwindling for various reasons. And along with that little interesting nature tidbit of news is that if the honey bee populations goes, we go. Without their work distributing the pollen vegetation can not continue, thus, we will run out of food in about a year and stave to death.

Here is another fact I have heard several times lately: Honey bees are not natives to North America. They arrived with the Pilgrim. The honey bees were brought to America by Europeans.

How did American Indians, before 1620 survive without bees? Vegetation was around on this continent before then wasn’t it?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

The planet is definetly under change, I would say....we have no choice but to adjust....

kenju said...

I have never heard that bees are not native to this country, so I don't know for sure. Something was able to pollinate before that - be it wind or butterflies or other insects.

Eddie said...

I agree, pollinating was done somehow, before the Pilgrams brought over the bees, but why do they now say they are a must?

Suzanne said...

If we would just stop our illegal occupation of the entire country, I think the Native Americans could go back to their bee-less ways of pollinating vegetation!

Sorry, I lost my head for a minute there... You raise an interesting question, as usual.

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
Interesting questions but no answers! What good is that?