Thursday, August 24, 2006

Oozing Yuccas! Yuck!



Our yuccas are in bloom. Here is one.

Each has several long stalks coming out with thick white blossoms on each. There were about five stalks that did their job, grow and shed the blossoms so they can so forth and multiply. I cut them off today. After the blossoms are gone the stalks have no use so they dry up and become ugly scraggly sticks.

Before I cut them down I got close enough to a blossom bearing stalk just to see what it was doing. I saw an organized line of ants walking in-step up the stalk to where the pollen-sticky-goo was oozing out. I suppose each ant got some goo under each arm or packed it on her back somehow and was supposed to return to their home nest with the goo to share.

Only thing, I did not see a formation of ants going down the stalk, only up.

Upon a closer study I saw near the top where the goo was at its gooish, was a spider web. It looked like more ants than not was getting tangled up in the web and a very happy little spider was making her way around welcoming her groceries… and probably rubbing her fore pinchers together cackling “heh heh”.

I wish I could have taken a closer picture of that.

But getting back to the general overall look: There were a line of ants in formation climbing to the top of the stalk to get the food, only to be devoured by something bigger and stronger.

See? That proves there is a God.

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

"...a very happy little spider was making her way around welcoming her groceries…" LOL! I love your choice of wording there :D

Eddie said...

Carolyn,
Thanks!

kenju said...

Survival of the fittest, I guess. I do hate it that the spider is more fit than the lowly ants...LOL

Eddie said...

Judy,
That's the name of the game of life, "Survival of the Fittest."