Thursday, August 10, 2006

Observances & Mental Notes on My Bike Ride

Out on my bike ride this morning I noticed a couple of things worthy of me commenting on. Heck, to be honest almost anything is worthy (or fair game) for me to comment on.

I noticed a sign nailed to a telephone pole saying “Horse Camp” and it gave the number to call. I wonder what the horses do at Horse Camp? Late at night around the camp fire tell “hoss stories”?

Also I noticed the Cobb County school buses were in motion on the big roads and the sub divisions. The Cobb County Schools System doesn’t start until next week but it appeared to me that the buses were making a dry run. Each driver was driving over his/her route and even stopping, opening the door, waited probably a minute, maybe more, and taking off again. I suppose they were timing themselves on how long they can expect to do their run twice a day and to see if any new problems were waiting on them that were not there in June.

The 16 year old boy that lives across from us has always stayed in trouble at school. For several years he has been going to an alternative school and a special bus transports him each day. When he first started with the special school the female bus driver would come, wait a minute or so and blow her horn, if he didn’t show up she would move on. Then in the afternoon, she would drop him off and take off.

But Joe is a smooth talking young man. He is a big boy, well over 6 feet and shows a certain equal respect when he talks to you. He is not intimidated, he calls you by your first name and somehow get the feeling he is sizing you up. I think one day he may be a good con-man.

During last year the female bus driver started pulling up in the driveway and she and Joe would sit in the bus and talk or sometimes stand outside and smoke (both of them). Then, she begin to visit inside the house for about 30 minutes. I suppose he was the last kid to leave off. And, what they do behind closed doors is, well, behind closed doors.

Now, I know what you are thinking, I will just go ahead and say it: Eddie, you are sure are nosy!

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Scandalous! And a bit sad, too. That kid probably needs real guidance, not, uh, "guidance." This story sounds familiar. Did you write about him & the bus driver before? Or maybe I am having deja vu...

Anonymous said...

I think the Bus driver is the one who is being guided in this case.

Eddie said...

Steve,
I bet so too. It reminds me of a female garbage truck driver who used to stop by his house and talk to him and one Saturday took him and her boy to Six Flags - so they said, anyway.
And another time a female cab driver, when she wasn't on a call would hang out at his house.
The virile of youth - at least in this case is not being misspent, so down the drain, if you get my drift.