Tuesday, October 04, 2022

What? Me Invisible?

As we know fast food restaurants are in the news now. My heart goes out for the people who work there and support a family. The teenagers who work there are a different story. Thinking of the McDonald teenage employees reminded me of this: Several years ago one mid day I walked into our local McDonald's. Two counter teenage clerks were standing at the counter talking to one another, both ready for any customers that would come up to the counter, or that is what I thought. I walked up to the counter directly across from them. I expected they would sense my movement out of their peripheral vision and one of them would turn, smile and ask how could they help me. They didn't. They didn't know I was there. Did I tell you that many times I am invisible? I can go anyplace for service and be unnoticed. That day was no exception. Not a customer is the restaurant but me, and I was the width of the counter away from two girls and they both didn't see me. They were talking about their sex lives with their boyfriends. Just when they were about to get to the juicy part, I cleared my throat. Both of them looked up in horror. Before I could request whatever I was ordering they both ran to the back. I think one of them came back and nervously took my order, but it has been so long ago, I forgot.

No comments: