Saturday, October 08, 2022

Civil War Skirmishes with Sherman's Calvary

Gerald Flinchum and his book CROSSROADS, CREEKS, AND CLASHES: CIVIL WAR SKIRMISHES IN CHEROKEE IN NORTH COBB COUNTIES: 1864. It looks like an interesting book if you have a historical interest in the area. In 2004 on my blog chick-fat I published pictures of the Tyson Cemetery near Hwy 82 and Bells Ferry Road - there are only 4 marked graves and about that number unmarked.. Gerald Flinchum emailed and called me. We set up a meeting place in a closed business parking lot near the cemetery and I took him to see it. He took detailed pictures because he told me he believed that some of Sherman's horsemen came through the area a few months before The Battle of Kennesaw Mountain. Months after our meeting and looking at the Tyson Cemetery he called me told me something to the effect there was a big skirmish in of Yankee Calvary men and Rebels in the cemetery itself. I am more than curious, it appears that my great great grandfather Robert Graves Tyson (1821-1864) ( died about the same time the skirmish happened. Maybe this book will open up new facts.

No comments: