Friday, December 03, 2021

The Pink House in Savannah

Anna just told me she read t hat The Ole Pink House in Savannah has been named as one of the top restaurants. I immediately thought of the strange time we had when we had dinner there in 2005, over ten years ago. I remember I made a blog post about that night so I searched for it on Chicken-fat. I found that I was so impressed I made 4 or 5 posts on that night. Here is the first one I made (they are all about the same) copied and pasted: Savannah, a Ghost, and the Unattached hand I went with Anna this past February to Savannah. She had four days of business meetings to attend. The first or second evening we met the others of the working staff along and had dinner at The Olde Pink House in the historic district. The Olde Pink House was first owned by James Habersham. James Habersham was a Georgia representative and was one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. Now, it is said The Olde Pink House is haunted by Habersham’s ghost. The travel channel did a bit about Hancock’s ghost there and so did PBS. The waiters claim that he would walk around in his clothing of the period and socialize with the guests and sometimes evening playing a trick on them like hiding one’s fork before he or she reached for it, and the list is endless. We had reservations. Two big tables held ten of us. Our table was round and was in a corner of the a room. Anna-s co-staffers table were within arm’s reach. One of the men sitting across from me I will call Tony. Behind Tony, high up on the wall, was a portrait of James Habersham, the original owner and maybe part-time ghost. As we made polite conversation Tony, who struck me as a loud mouth braggart, with lack of anything else to say, brought up the subject of somebody that worked in his office, a handicapped person, a person that was challenged in controlling his body movements and his face movements. Tony said if he got excited talking he would lose control of his facial muscles and spit all over all you as he talked. Tony said he learned long ago to keep his distance or step aside when this guy was about to tell something. Then… One quiet person, lets call him John, between 55 and 60 years of age said, “Tony I think you deserve a hand for that” WHAM!!! A big unattached hand landed onto Tony’s empty plate. Everything got deathly quiet. John reached over and picked up his rubber artificial hand and re-attached it. Everybody at the table broke into laughter and some even were having hysterical laughter. I looked up at the portrait of James Habersham and he seemed to be frowning and not amused at all. The rest of the evening Tony was mostly quiet. The hand was an inspiration to many to use some one-ones… like, “John can’t keep his hand to himself-“ and more.

No comments: