Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Me & Jean Sheperd and the Bee Bee Gun

For the Umpteenth time we are watching on TV the movie CHRISTMAS STORY movie. The movie was written by Jean Shepherd (1921-1999). It is Shepherds memoirs as a child at Christmas time. I’ll take it over IT’S A GOOD LIFE anytime. It was on a New York City radio station and I used my radio and cheap earphones to listen to it I have been a fan of Jean Shepherd since about 1964. In the Navy, after the lights went out at 10:00pm, sometime after that, probably 11:00pm, on radio was the JEAN SHEPHERD show. He talked on and on about his younger life. Self Centered? Well, yes, but it was also interesting, funny, and fulfilling. I don’t think it was scripted. Sometimes he ran out of something to talk about and he would pull out his kazoo and play it until he though of more of the same subject for that night. A confession: Jean Shepherd is largely the inspiration for my blog Chicken-fat.com! If he can talk endlessly about his past and find the humor in it, I’ll make a feeble attempt doing the thing on a blog! And I’m doing it without a kazoo.

No comments: