Thursday, November 05, 2020

My Hiding Place & Somebody Else's hiding Place

 



I took this picture several weeks ago.  Actually, I was on a mission of taking a picture of the area of my stomping grounds back when I was wandering around learning how to walk.

I knew The Marietta Daily Journal office had moved to Waddell Street but I could not figure out where.  I thought it would have been a few blocks north to be closer to the interactions of gossip with county and city government – like, if they had moved to the area I think they should have, they could have just kept their windows opened and listen to the gossip.

But no, they evidently bought the old Marietta Health Office building.

I remember the building well.  I have got shots there.


On the north side of the building was a gulley like.  The floor of the gulley might have been cement and their might have been a door going into a basement level  It may have!  Maybe not.  Remember, it was my hide out from age 3 or 4 to about 6.  That was my hiding place when I wanted to be alone.

The last time I was in that building was in line to vote.  I remember in line that time was a very influential  of Cobb County.  We started talking and realized we knew some of the same people and some of the same history, and he seemed to get a kick out of dry wit.  When the line got shorter and we were about to separate he told me to come by and see him sometime.

He did not give me directions to his house.

I knew it anyway, as a  sorting postal clerk of the area all the addresses of frequent mail recipients gradually sinks in your mind.  Then, I could have blurt out his home address, including the house number but I was afraid instead of being pleasantly surprised he would be shocked, in a scary way.

I did not take him up on his offer.

I like this picture for not only does it show my secret hiding place, but also the new courthouse in the background.


No comments: