Tuesday, November 24, 2020

I Do Not Get Out Often

 



I do not get out much.

Anna bought a Thanksgiving cake from a baker friend of ours, Mary Beth.  They live in Ellijay so we picking it up or they delivering it was a logistics problem.  Not that it could not be done, it just had to be planned.  Mary Beth’s husband had a doctor’s appointment this morning.  It was agreed I would meet him in the doctors’ office parking lot, near the hospital.  I would hand over the agreed amount and he would give me the box with the cake in it.

That could look suspicious, meeting someone in a parking lot, one handing over cash money and the other handing over a box.  But I suppose when you are old like me, the surveillance  people look the other way.

I got back into my truck, put the key in the ignition  and turned the key.

“CLICK!”

The engine was dead as doornail.  No lights, radio, or not anything was working.  How did it even turn it on to drive me through Marietta to get me there?

Now, is the time I am thankful we have AAA.

I called AAA.  They sent an official AAA on the side van out.  He tested the battery and was on the verge of being dead.  He sold me a new battery which comes with a warranty and all that.

I called Anna and she drove down to give me backup if needed, she had a hair appointment in a couple of hours.

I stopped by the seed store and bought some bird feed and the post office without cutting off the engine either time.  When I got home I turned it on and off and it works fine.

As I said, I don’t get out often.  I felt as free as the birds I feed must feel.  We should have discussed techniques.


No comments: