Friday, June 13, 2014

Pranks and Retaliation




The other day we were waiting at a stop light and going through the green light was a little car with EAST MARIETTA PHARMACY on the side with also the message WE DELIVER.
I said to Anna, "I didn't know they still do that!"

It also inspired my memory glands to leap into the past about 60 years to one day when my family was living on Manget Street. (here you hear a harp) and see me stroking my chin:

We heard a knock at the door and it was the Dunaway Drugstore delivery man with a carton of ice cream.  My mother told him we did not order any ice cream.  About the drugstore delivery man drove off up drove a Victory Cab to pick someone up.    Coming in behind him was the Hodges Drug Store delivery man.  I realized we were being pranked.  About 5 or 6 drugstores delivery men came with various things from milk shakes, ice cream, magazines, and whatever else drug store sell and several taxi from various cab companies.

My mother was at her wit's end shooing off all the delivery men and cab drivers and then my old friend Jimmy Pat Presley called.  My mother answered the phone and Jimmy Pat said, "Hi Mrs Hunter!  What's new?"   I think she told him he good and well knew what was new and chewed him out good, or at least she thought it was a good chewing out, knowing Jimmy Pat he was on the other end of the phone holding back his giggling.

I paid Jimmy Pat back in one revengeful act or another, that was common courtesy back then.


Those were the days.

No comments: