Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Jimmy Pat, Todd, and 809 Manget Street





Last week on Chicken-fat was a post about Jimmy Pat  ordering things from all the drug stores that delivered and  the taxies to pick us up.  That was when we lived on Manget Street.  This same house on 809 Manget Steet is important in this post too.

Read on.

Not long after that I felt creative and glued to a bedroom wall hundreds of things I cut out of magazines like LIFE, LOOK, and SATURDAY EVENING POST.  All things cut out and pasted to the wall had a direct relation to cutout things next to it.  Like Marylyn Monroe swimming and directly under her was the CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON peeping at her from under a rock .  Above her, high up on the wall were a group of divers coming down in her direction - some were people like Tarzan, Boy, some kids cannon balling, and I forgot who all.  Jesus was walking by on top of the water too.  It went on and on.  I regret not taking a picture of it.

My parents decided to put the house up for sale.  One of the first people to look at it was a single old man named Todd.  When my parents were showing him the rooms when he saw my bedroom with all the magazine figures one of my parents said I would take all those down.  He said no, that was why he might buy the house, which he did.

I already knew of Todd.  He was a strange man who boarded with my friend Van Callaway's aunt.  The only thing I knew about him is that he collected exotic canned foods and canned fish.  Each time Todd and Vann's aunt had a heated argument he would lock himself in his car, play loud music and eat a can of one of his canned delis.

How, I do not know, but Jimmy Pat  became friends with Todd and began to visit him a lot.  Jimmy Pat was a very serious  compulsive collector.  Once Jimmy Pat started collecting something watch out - if you had similar interests you would be wise to search him after his visit..... I wisely did, and always found something of mine.

Todd had a huge collection of Army patches.  During Jimmy Pat visiting period with Todd, Todd's Army patch collection decreased and Jimmy Pat's Army patch collection increased. 

Another time he demanded to search Jimmy Pat, which he did and found a bunch of patches.  He got mad at Jimmy and threw them at him and told him to just take them.

Jimmy ran out across the street and threw the patches all over the property of Larry Bell Park.


Todd's residence on Manget Street changed to the  State Penitentiary because he molested his 8 year old neighbor.   

No comments: